Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pop of Color! DIY Entry Table

Ever since I saw this pin I knew I had to have a turquoise entry table.

{Photo Credit: thehouseofsmiths.com}
Cabinets and little drawers are always great for some extra storage and I also wanted a bottom shelf where I could put baskets for shoes, dog leash, etc. When I stumbled upon this beauty at an awesome thrift store (if you're in SoFla, check out Faith Farm Thrift in Ft. Lauderdale) and despite the fake-bake orange-y glow I knew it had awesome potential and was exactly what I had been looking for.

{Yikes! We clearly have some work to do here.}
Origninally I had planned on just replacing the knobs and pulls but some of the large bolts on the bottom were missing - so instead I took the opportunity to replace all the hardware. After disassembling the table I took my hardware baggie with me to Lowe's and a kind, patient gentleman (bless his heart!) helped me find replacement pieces.

This looks fun, doesn't it? no.
After reading Virginia's post on painting with chalk paint, I decided I'd give it a whirl. Also, if you haven't checked out her blog, head on over there check it out. You're welcome. She's definitely my DIY crush (if that's even a thing. we'll pretend it is. just go with it).

Anyway, I chose Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paint in Treasure for my bold, punchy pop of color

 and even though there is a paint brush in the pics I ended up using this touch-up size foam roller because the paint coverage was more even.

I disassembled the entire table by removing both cabinet doors, both drawers, the legs and the bottom shelf.



Ok, let's get to work!
One of the benefits of using chalk paint is that you don't have to strip or sand the piece before application. Being that this piece was really old, I did a small amount of spot-sanding - just where I thought it would really make a difference. I didn't go crazy sanding every imperfection because I wanted some of the character to show through despite the 'facelift' the piece was getting.

As I mentioned, I started with a regular paint brush but I didn't like the coverage I was getting and it was hard to control with this thicker type of paint. Once I switched over to the foam roller it was much easier. For the lip underneath the top and at the lip above the legs I used an old craft paint brush I had laying around which worked really well and gave me excellent control on the smaller areas.

Letting each piece dry overnight in between, I used 3-4 light coats of paint. This being my first time using chalk paint it took some time figuring out the best method of application, and now that I'm currently working on another project with it, I'm realizing that 2 maybe 3 coats (max) is definitely enough.

After all pieces were completely dry I tried to reassemble the table myself. After struggling for half an hour to balance the legs while drilling the screws, I finally admitted it was a two person job and asked D to come help me. 
(I'm lucky that he's totally supportive of these projects even though it may or may not have been midnight when I decided I HAD TO REASSEMBLE IT RIGHT NOW. I'm spontaneous like that sometimes. It's really fun for everyone. Moving on...)

One of the cool things about this chalk paint is that you can 'customize' the finish of your project. The paint itself dries with a matte finish, but Americana Decor makes a variety of finishing creme waxes that you brush on, let dry and then buff off until you get the desired amount of shine. I used this one:


Again, this was another trial and error process for me. I used a lint-free cloth to 'wipe' it on and then a clean one to buff it off, but I think in the future I'm going to try a wide foam brush (3-4") like the kind you find at Michaels to 'paint' it on. We'll see...I'll keep you posted on that method.

From there I replaced the external hardware using knobs and pulls from Anthropologie. They're my go-to for decorative hardware. I've used them to spruce up the nursery dresser (new post to come now that we've moved!) and my dining room buffet as well. I chose these knobs and these pulls (now on sale!) and I love how they look together!


{By the way, replacing the knobs/pulls on old furniture and/or cabinets is a great, inexpensive way to give old items a facelift - it really makes such a difference, especially if you're not in a position to be buying new items.}

I am just in love with how it all came together! Clearly, I have some work still to do with the styling :) My vision is to put a lamp, a tray for the vase and some candles, maybe some DIY artwork or a few decorative other things to balance out some of the negative space. I'll be sure to update with the progress. 


Baskets from Homegoods
Indoor/Outdoor carpet from Overstock
Wall Color - Behr 'Mineral' (mixed in Valspar Signature)


I also upcycled this mirror - post to come soon!
See DIY vase post here.

{Don't mind D's shoes...he was excited to try out the baskets!} 



I love the cheerful color that greets me as soon as I walk in my house:)

If you do any projects inspired by this post I definitely want to see! I love hearing from y'all and the things y'all create inspired by my posts keep inspiring me - so keep 'em coming :) 
Post a link/pics in the comments or email me at modestlyfashioned(at)gmail(dot)com!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

Such talent! Love it.

Ayelet said...

This is awesome! You rock the DIY thing!